Sunday, July 28, 2013

Saturday Night – Mick is pulling out all the stops – Part 4

The final course of the evening was homemade lemon squares paired with a 2007 Peller Estates Riesling Ice-wine both of which were compliments of Chris and Jan.
 

The nose on the ice wine was lovely with lychee, orange zest, petrol and peach aromas. Tasting the wine flavours of mandarin oranges in syrup, peaches, pear with a touch of white pepper are to be found. The structure on this wine was perfect with lively acidity helping to offset the sweetness of the wine and the wine was topped off with a super long lingering finish. This wine was truly amazing on its own. It was a good pairing for the lemon squares but I think it worked better on its own.


Here is the group rating for the wine - Mick – 91, Mark – 90, Kathy – 92, Amy – 92, Overall – 91.25

Bonus Rating – Chris – 93, Jan – 92.

There was no LCBO information on this wine but Jan let me know it was $70 for a 375mL bottle. That is a bit pricey for an ice-wine in my opinion but this one is worth every penny as it was that good.

The 91.25 overall rating gets this wine firmly on the list of Top Ten Dessert, Sparkling and Port wines and with good reason; this easily one of the better ice wines I’ve ever had. I tend to lean towards late harvest wines as usually ice-wines are too sweet but this one didn’t come across as cloying or syrupy like other ones that I have tried.

The lemon squares were a very nice ending to a night of wonderful food. They were a lighter dessert which after all of Mick’s wonderful food were exactly what was needed.

I like to thank Mick and Amy for hosting. I would especially like to thank Mick for all his hard work in producing so many amazing dishes… you really outdid yourself buddy! Thanks to Chris and Jan for their dessert and the lovely wine to go with it but more importantly for their wonderful company.

It will be my turn to host next week but Mick has now set the bloody bar too high so I’m not even going to try. I’m thinking frozen fish sticks might be our dinner next Saturday so I can reset the bar. So what would the wine pairing be for store bought frozen fish sticks… I’m thinking that might be some lovely boxed white Zinfandel.

Cheers!

Mark